Beware of Blackmail Internet Scams
What could be more disturbing than getting an email from a stranger saying they were reading your emails, monitoring your usage or even have videos of you and that they were going to expose these embarrassing and damaging secrets unless you paid for the strangers silence. The best advice is:
1. Don’t respond –your email can be circulated inside various crime rings.
2. Change passwords regularly to block access to hackers.
3. Keep your antivirus software updated
4. Immediately delete emails from unknown senders
5. Don’t keep ANY material on your computer that you wouldn’t ultimately want to be widely shared.
Clients often times give lawyers or others confidential materials with instructions to have them destroyed or distributed at the time of their death.
If you have any questions please contact attorney Steve Malach at 248-593-5000, or SMALACH@lipsonneilson.com.