There has been a lot of debate and discussion over the Affordable Care Act, the so-called healthcare reform bill that was recently upheld in the U.S. Supreme Court. Here are a few things you should be aware of about the impact of this bill.
- Your guaranteed Medicare benefits are safe
- You can keep your own doctor
- Many preventative screenings, such as for mammograms, are free
- Prescription drugs will cost less
- Some Medicare patients may receive more intensive follow-up for future preventative purposes.
- Higher income beneficiaries will continue to see higher premiums for Medicare Part B and Part D prescription plans
- If you like your employer’s coverage, keep it.
- Other options: purchase coverage through your state’s insurance exchange.
- If you have no healthcare coverage on Jan. 1, 2014, you may be required to pay a special tax.
- There are some exemptions based on income.
- Treatment for preexisting conditions must be covered by insurance companies.
- Women can’t be charged higher premiums than men.
For questions, contact us and we can help you with how this information affects your estate plan.